Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Summer Reading



I'm straying from my usual format for this post because I recently read the Summer Books section of the Chicago Tribune, and it inspired me to make a summer reading list for myself. So I've decided to post my summer reading list as a way of keeping me accountable to it. (If I post it for all the world wide web to see, I may be more inclined to stick to it.) Plus, I always like to hear about what other people are reading or plan to read, so I thought I might return the favor and share a little.

Here goes:
1. A Jane Austen Education: How Six Novels Taught Me About Love, Friendship, and the Things That Really Matter, by William Deresiewicz
2. The Reading Promise: My Father and the Books We Shared, by Alice Azma
3. The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth: Popularity, Quirk Theory, and Why Outsiders Thrive After High School, by Alexandra Robbins
4. Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy, by Eric Metaxas
5. In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin, by Erik Larson
6. Dreams of Joy, by Lisa See
7. You Shall Know Our Velocity, by Dave Eggers

8. Tender is the Night, by F. Scott Fitzgerald


I don't know if I will read them in that particular order. I might mix the fiction in with the non to break things up a little. I actually surprised myself when I was finished with this list because there is an awful lot of nonfiction on it. I've never been much of a nonfiction reader. I usually tend to stick with novels, but it seems as though this year has produced a lot of nonfiction books on topics I'm very interested in. It should be an interesting and educational summer and I can't wait to get started!


(If you have the time, let me know what you plan to read this summer!)

1 comment:

  1. I love your list with its eclectic mix of fiction and non-fiction, new and old. My Summer Reading includes (some of which has been completed):
    The Border Trilogy, Cormac McCarthy
    English, August: An Indian Story, Upamanyu Chatterjee
    Mitz the Marmoset of Bloomsbury, Sigrid Nunez
    Adam Smith: An Enlightened Life, Nicholas Phillipson
    Red Lights, Simenon
    The Autobiography of John Cowper Powys
    The Invisible Man, H. G. Wells
    Brendan Wolf, Brian Malloy
    The Double Helix, James Watson
    Stop-time, Frank Conroy
    Palace Walk, Naguib Mahfouz

    and probably more, Jim

    ReplyDelete