Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Classics: Shakespeare and Dickens

Over the past few days, I've had the chance to watch a couple of excellent new adaptations of two of my favorite stories. Shakespeare's Hamlet and Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens. I loved them so much, I wanted to write a little something about them both, and recommend them to whoever might be reading this.

Hamlet
I finally watched the latest version of Hamlet (I believe it's the latest) over the weekend, and I was enthralled! I don't know what it is about Shakespeare that keeps me coming back for more, but I can watch his plays over and over again, and never grow tired of them. Especially, Hamlet. I was drawn to this version because Hamlet was played by David Tennant and Claudius by Patrick Stewart. The first thought that went through my head was, The Doctor and Captain Picard starring in a production of Hamlet!? I have to see this! And so I did, and it was wonderful! I've loved David Tennant ever since he captured my heart in Doctor Who, and now I love him even more! I mean, how awesome is it that right after he finishes out his time as The Doctor, he turns around and plays Hamlet with the Royal Shakespeare Company?? That's pretty amazing.

Great Expectations
Last night, I took home the latest Masterpiece Classic mini-series of Great Expectations and watched all three episodes! I couldn't stop once I'd started. It is beautiful. I'm not sure how else to describe what they accomplished with this new version. Everything from the costumes, to the houses, to the tiny forge were beautifully crafted and beautifully filmed. Gillian Anderson played the insane, broken-hearted Miss Havisham, and did a wonderful job. Her performance was perfection. And of course, the rest of the cast was also spectacular! Especially, Douglas Booth as Pip. Like Shakespeare, the stories of Charles Dickens never get old. I get swept away in them every time I read one or watch a film adaption.

So I hope you have a chance to watch one or both of these because they are both timeless classics!

No comments:

Post a Comment