Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Summer Reading 2012

I decided to make another summer reading list this year. Currently, I'm reading Anna Karenina, by Leo Tolstoy, and that's put me in the mood to read other classics that I've always meant to but haven't gotten around to reading yet.

1. A Moveable Feast, by Ernest Hemingway. I've been meaning to read this since watching the film Midnight in Paris. Plus, I haven't read much Hemingway, so I figured it's about time I did so.
2. Wives and Daughters, by Elizabeth Gaskell
3. Middlemarch, by George Eliot
4. Little Dorrit, by Charles Dickens
5. The Age of Innocence, by Edith Wharton
6. The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I've decided to read this again because the new movie is coming out soon, and it looks amazing! Past adaptations have never come close to living up to the book, but I'm really excited about this one. This book was the reason I decided to study English in college. It's one of my favorite stories, and it's time I read it again.

I'm also going to read a few graphic novels this summer:

1. Sweet Tooth, by Jeff Lemire. My brother got me interested in reading this one. I like to read what he's reading, so we can talk about it. Plus it just looks really quirky and fun.
2. Blankets, by Craig Thompson
3. The Complete Maus, by Art Spiegelman
4. V for Vendetta, by Alan Moore. I saw this movie on a plane once, but I was so jet-lagged, I don't remember much of it. So I decided before I watch the movie again, I'm going to read the graphic novel.


Addition to blog made 5/30/2012: I decided to make some additions to my summer reading list because I found a couple Doctor Who and comic related books that seem quirky and fun.

1. Doctor Who and Philosophy: Bigger on the Inside, edited and compiled by Courtland Lewis and Paula Smithka
2. Chicks Dig Time Lords: A Celebration of Doctor Who by the Women Who Love It, by Lynne Thomas
3. Chicks Dig Comics: A Celebration of Comic Books by the Women Who Love Them, also by Lynne Thomas





That's all I've got, so far! I hope everyone is gearing up for a good summer of great reads!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment