Thursday, May 17, 2012

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen

Over the weekend, I noticed the Paramount Theater was playing Salmon Fishing in the Yemen and got really excited about it! I wanted to see it on it's first run, but it had a really limited release, and the small town I live in doesn't usually get limited release films. So when it finally came to Kankakee, I jumped on the chance to see it! And I'm glad I did. It was a wonderfully sweet film that made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen is exactly what it sounds like it would be. It's a film about a branch of the British government that attempts to bring the sport of Salmon Fishing to the Yemen. Of course, there are many obsticles to overcome: a hot, dry climate and civil unrest to only name a couple. But what struck me about the story, was not all the fishing. What I was drawn to was the budding romance between the two leads.

Emily Blunt and Ewan McGregor give outstanding performances as the two government officials who are teamed up--rather reluctantly, at first--on this seemingly impossible fishing project. But as they slowly get to know one another, they realize what a wonderful team they make, and of course they begin to form an attachment.

The film is beautifully filmed and made me want to travel to the Yemen. (Of course, almost everytime I see a movie that takes place overseas, I immediately want to visit that place.) I wanted to put on a pair of khakis and a light linen shirt, and go out into the desert.

So if you're in the mood for a sweet, feel good film about determination and hope, see Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment