Monday, August 15, 2011

Little Princes

Every adventurer at heart should read this book. Anyone who has felt even an ounce of compassion for "the least of these" (Matt. 25:40) should read this book. It is a wonderfully written account of a young man who begins a whirlwind, round-the-world trip by first volunteering at a children's home in Nepal. He starts out seeking adventure and ends up finding his true calling.

This book came to me as I was processing books at the library one day. (Ocassionally, if a book strikes my eye, I will stop labeling and covering long enough to read the jacket description.) I was drawn to the story because it seemed similiar to the time I spent volunteering with children in Thailand. However, as I began to actually read the book, I realized right away that Conor Grennan's story was going to be radically different from my own experience in a developing nation.

He did much more than just volunteer for three months: He rescued trafficked children, started his own children's home and non-profit organization, and reunited trafficked children with their families after years of seperation. And in the midst of telling his readers about all these incredible things he did in Nepal, he still manages to remain open and honest about his shortcomings. His humility and grace are truly inspiring!

And he never loses his sense of humor! This book will have you laughing out loud, when you are not gripped with suspense over what happens next. There were times when certain scenes got so intense, I felt like I was reading an adventure novel. I had to stop and remind myself that this story actually happened to a real person.

So I encourage everyone to read it! Even if you've never had the itch to travel around the world or volunteer in Southeast Asia, you'll walk away from this book inspired to do something good for others. (Even if that just means showing a little more kindness to the people you interact with on a daily basis. ) Read it... I guarentee you'll love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment