Thursday, March 1, 2012

Doctor Who

I know. I’m a little late to the Doctor Who party, but I’m catching up quickly. Oh, Doctor, I think I might be falling in love with you, just like one of your companions….



Okay, let’s back up a little. A couple summers ago, I was in Michigan at my Cousin Aubrey’s wedding reception talking with a couple of relatives about the TV show Lost. It had just finished its last season, and I was saying something really melodramatic like, “No more Lost. What am I going to do now without Lost?”


Then my Cousin Heather’s husband said, “Start watching Doctor Who.”


Doctor Who. Yes, I’d heard the buzz surrounding this updated version of the British classic, and I was a little curious, so when I got back home, I put the first season on hold at the library. I watched the first three episodes and thought, “I don’t think this is for me.” I took is back to the library the next day.


Then, my friend Jeremy told me I just needed to get through the first season. “Season two gets so much better. You need to keep watching,” he said. I was still pretty skeptical.

A girl even came into the library about a month later raving about Doctor Who, asking me if I watch it. “I saw the first few episodes,” I said, “It wasn’t really my thing.”


“Oh no, you need to keep watching!” she said, in almost hysterics, “It’s the BEST show EVER!”


I thought she was crazy, but I just started season three last night, and I’m afraid I’ve turned into her. I even switched the desktop background on my computer at work to a picture of The Doctor with his sonic screwdriver in hand and a single sentence that reads, “Have you hugged your Time Lord today?” (I wish I could hug my Time Lord! Seriously.)


So Trust me on this: By time you get to the end of season one, you will want to go on to season two. Once you get to the end of season two, you’ll be hooked. This is a great show full of humor and insane adventure. I mean, come on, a time traveling genius saving the world armed only with a sonic screwdriver?? What’s not to love?

No comments:

Post a Comment