Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Patron Recommends...

Because I work at a small public library, I have the opportunity to get to know some of my patrons really well. One of the best things about my job is talking with patrons about what they are reading, or TV show and movies they are watching. The other day, I was engaged in a conversation with one of my favorite patrons, Mollie, who just happens to share my appreciation for Jane Austen, BBC Drama, and Masterpiece Theatre.

So I was telling her all about Lark Rise to Candleford, a BBC TV show that I've recently been devouring episode by episode every evening. Finally she stopped me and said, "You should write a blog." Later on, our conversation came to mind again, and I thought, why not? It could be kind of fun. Mollie might be the only person who ever reads it, but I'm okay with that.

The Long Surrender
I'm not, however, going to write about books, movies, or TV in this entry. Since I just went to a spectacular concert last weekend, I'd rather write about the new Over the Rhine record The Long Surrender. First of all, I have to say WOW! They are AMAZING live! If you ever get a chance to see them in concert, I'd highly recommend it!

In anticipation of the show, I listened to almost nothing but The Long Surrender in the two weeks leading up to it. It is, in my opinion, their best album to date. (Of course, I think that about all their albums when they first come out because they just keep getting better!) This new record uses the best parts of country, jazz and blues in a perfect combination. They've created incredibly soulful, beautiful songs that make you want to turn up the volume and sing along at the top of your lungs. I adore everything about every song on this record.

The friends I went to the concert with were teasing me because at the beginning of every song they played, I'd say, "Oh! I love this song!" "We know. You don't have to say it every time," was their response. But there is something about their music that moves me, and I just couldn't help getting excited. So that's my recommendation for today: Over the Rhine's The Long Surrender. Check out their website, when you get a chance: http://www.overtherhine.com/

1 comment:

  1. You DID it, Ranea! Awesome. Now I'm going to have to keep an eye on this page for my latest literary recommendations (and movies, and music and......!).

    ReplyDelete