Monday, April 25, 2011

Water for Elephants

When I first saw the book Water for Elephants was being turned into a movie, I got pretty excited. That is until I saw who was cast in the lead male role. (It's been difficult for me to forgive R-Pats since he forever ruined the role of Edward Cullen in the Twilight movies.) As I was on my way to see this movie, I was half hopeful and half skeptical. It turns out I was pleasantly surprised! I really enjoyed this movie! And since I hadn't read the book in more than two years, I didn't have any of those that's-not-how-it-was-in-the-book moments. I thought it stayed pretty true to the spirit of the original story, and it was beautifully filmed. The costumes and the soundtrack were also pretty amazing. And Robert Pattinson redeemed himself. (I am now convinced that it's the Twilight movie franchise that is terrible and I shouldn't judge the actors too harshly.) All in all, it was a wonderful film-going experience for me. It made me want to run off with the circus myself.





So that's my recommendation for the day: Water for Elephants, the movie. It opened in theaters recently, so you still have a chance to catch it. And if you haven't read the book, you should read that, too! It's a riveting story about the circus in the 1930s. And there is a little bit of something for everyone: suspense, drama, romance... it even makes you laugh out loud at times. I hope you enjoy it!






2 comments:

  1. Read the first 2 chapters this weekend (the book was my niece's, so I had to stop there and not do my usual Consume-the-novel-as-quickly-as-possible-while-ignoring-the-family-and-the-household-in-general). I reserved it online and I'm hoping it comes soon. So glad to hear your review...I was wondering what your take on it was. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a huge Reese fan...but I sort of thought this movie looked interesting...I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete